In September, the IoD's Cambridgeshire branch hosted their annual dinner at St John's College, one of the oldest and largest colleges in Cambridge, to mark an excellent year for local IoD members.
Inclement weather meant the planned drinks reception on the lawn of St John’s was moved to the college bar, where guests networked and enjoyed meeting guest speaker Martin Bell OBE before dinner began.
Dinner was held in the spectacular 16th Century Dining Hall, with its fine hammer beam roof, painted in black and gold and decorated with the armorial devices of its benefactors. The hall is lined to ceiling level with linen fold panelling which dates from 1528. Apparently in 1564 Queen Elizabeth I rode into the College's Hall on horseback during a state visit to Cambridge!
There were no horseback entrances for our guest speaker however, but former war correspondent and MP, Martin Bell OBE entertained guests with short poems relating to his previous careers along with more recent events including Brexit and the summer election. Martin was thanked by Caroline Rand, Chairman of IoD Cambridgeshire who also asked attendees to dig deep to buy raffle tickets with proceeds being donated to Papworth Trust.
Papworth Trust is a leading disability charity which works to create a world where disabled people are seen for what they can do. Guests helped IoD Cambridgeshire to raise £1,688 for the charity and huge thanks go to Rich Wainwright, IoD Cambridgeshire’s Vice-Chairman () for acting as MC for the evening. As ever, the IoD Cambridgeshire annual dinner proved both a prestigious and memorable event.
Many thanks to our raffle prize donors
- 2 x Eurostar return tickets from (Prestige Business Travel)
- 45 minute private punt tour for up to 12 people
- Case of wine & Carrier
- 2 tickets to “Dear Esther Live” at Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 1 ticket for “Enterprising Women in the East” Summit at Newmarket Racecourse
- Certificate for Actioncoach Business Planning Day x 2 (value £99 per ticket)
- 2 tickets to Essex & East Anglian Amateur Boxing Finals 6 October
- 6 Papworth “I Can” packs— T-shirt, Hoodie, Apron and Mug
- £50 Voucher for The Plough Restaurant, Coton
- Footgolf Voucher for Fourball
- Box set of 20 hand-made Christmas cards to winning bidders design
- A photo session from Smith & Co Photography
- HKS Europe Motor Car Track Experience in 2018
- Cottenham Construction and Builders offer a tradesman for a day
- Ford Marshall, Cambridge—full valet car voucher
To learn more about ongoing IoD work in your area, take a look at our regional hubs!