The IoD is committed to ensuring all members, no matter where they may live or work, receive a high level of membership benefit.
Branch ambassadors, led by a Branch Chairman, make up a Leadership Team within each IoD branch to deliver a programme of engagement opportunities for IoD members. This is a voluntary role.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrable track record in senior leadership, with established business interests and a network of established contacts within London, and will be a strong advocate for good governance and responsible business practices amongst Directors, with a desire to give back to the community.You will help to promote and recognise great businesses and their stories within London, and to promote the positive impact of business on society, whilst actively supporting IoD members in their drive to grow purposeful, responsible companies.
You will have the opportunity to work alongside the IoD Head office team, and our London Regional Chair, to support a growing membership base of business leaders, offering your expertise, insights and thought-leadership, and the benefit of your experience, to a diverse membership base of 5000 leaders of start-ups, scale-ups and private and public sector enterprises.
You will have a great understanding of the London business economy, and will be expected to promote the IoD within the London’s business community, public sector and policy makers, whilst receiving the IoD’s support and unique opportunities for connections and a policy platform.
What it entails:
We are constantly driving to enhance and future-proof the IoD member experience and improve member engagement in London, whilst continuing to champion and support our current and prospective membership. This involves ensuring that we are well connected to policy and decision makers, and are championing the Royal charter objects of the IoD, around Better Business, Better Directors, Better Society and Better Services, so that we can be there for ourmembers when they need it most. Truly becoming the go to place for Leaders looking to grow, develop, and transform their businesses and to connect with their senior peers.
The Central London Chair is the principal representative of the IoD in the area and responsibilities include the following, delivered in association with & through our Branch Ambassadors team:
- personally demonstrate a high commitment to good governance and professionalism
- have high profile in their nominated function, sector of focus topic, within the branch geography
- influence a wide range of key stakeholders
- champion and support marketing, publicity and events to raise awareness of IoD
- represent and promote the interests of Members in their area
- promote membership of the IoD to directors of businesses of all sizes in their area
- promote the CPD route to Chartered Director
- provide comment to media on specific topics in line with IoD policy
- attend & chair Central London Branch meetings
- attend branch events & promote the benefits of joining the branch & the IoD
- Support IoD members & signposting them to the service that best suits their need;
- Proactively looking to engage with & promote IoD members (and potential members) positive business stories and successes to the IoD;
- Bringing other great leaders (like yourself) into the IoD to continually renew, and increase the Policy voice impact of the membership,
- Provide learning opportunities for all members through fantastic peer to peer networking & connectivity;
- Strategic input into branch activities, within IoD structures;
- Being the visible face of empowering, inclusive Leadership within your branch area;
- Ensuring the future success of Central London Branch Building the Leadership ambassadorial group by:
- Introducing Members of suitable calibre to the Branch leadership team (i.e. those who are prepared to contribute at meetings, assume responsibility for designated Sectorial or Policy activities and who represent a cross- section of local business leadership).
- Acting as a spokesperson on IoD matters and being sufficiently well versed on national policies and in regional business interests to comment on behalf of the IoD when requested.
- Pro-actively building contacts with key regional business and community figures.
Objectives of the Branch
- To promote national IoD objectives and policies within London
- To ensure that the IoD has appropriate influence with regional bodies (eg LEPs. Councils, Mayors), and has a strong profile within the regional business community.
- To ensure that IoD national services (e.g. professional development) are available and promoted in the region.
- To drive and support activity within the London Region and promote best practice within it.
- To support & retain/increase membership in the London Region, through proactive engagement with business leaders;
WIIFM (What’s In It For Me)?
- As Chairman of Central London Branch you will be positioned as the ‘go to’ person for your area of expertise.
- Local media vehicles will be encouraged to contact you for local comment on national, regional and local business issues and when these issues fall within your area of expertise you will be given first option to comment.
- 20% on any IoD Professional Development course that is a full day or longer within your term of membership.
- Your personal brand will be enhanced by the title of IoD Chair– Chairs and Ambassadors in other branches have been invited to speak at conferences etc purely because they are an IoD Ambassador.
- Your views and opinions will be sought by the Policy Unit of the IoD which oversees the development of IoD policy on the full range of issues affecting business from trade to taxation, enterprise to education. As you are aware the IoD concentrates on the issues of most concern to business, examining them in depth and drawing substantially on our members' experience.To maximise our influence, we communicate the IoD viewpoint to the full range of policy-makers. We are in frequent contact with ministers, civil servants, special advisers and government agencies to ensure that IoD members' views are represented accurately at all stages of the policy process. Being Chair of Central London Branch should be enjoyable. It is a great way to meet new people, be part of the growth of the IoD, influence the growth of our economy, become a better director and have fun along the way.
- Grow your network & develop peer to peer relationships
- Engagement opportunities exclusively with IoD Executive & through events/policy
To arrange a call to discuss the role with the Director of regions, please email Alan Fitzwater
or to speak with someone whom has been there and done it, please email our Acting Chair Jason
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org outlining how you feel your skills and experience are aligned with the Chair role. Points to cover in your email application include:
- Your career background
- Experience, if any, of working with a leadership team / committee
- Your area of expertise e.g. IoD Ambassador for HR
- How long you have been and IoD member
- What being a member of the IoD means to you
- Your application will be reviewed by our Leadership team and a decision will be communicated to you following the next Leadership Team meeting.
- IoD Regions and Branches will contact you and arrange an interview (subject to shortlisting)
- Details of the appointment will be added to the www.iod.com website.
- The successful applicant will be introduced to the following people over a period of 3-4 weeks:
- New Chair announced to local media
- introduced to counterparts in other IoD branches
- introduced to Head of the IoD Policy Unit
Deadline: Midnight on 25th October 2017