Chartered Director Qualification
Setting the standard for business leaders.
Chartered director status is an exclusive qualification held by some of the world’s best business directors and leaders. The final step in our Chartered Director Programme is an experience-based assessment of the way you work within the context of your organisation. This assessment can only be completed following the Certificate and Diploma in Company Direction.
As the final step in our Chartered Director Programme, this qualification recognises the high standards and capabilities needed to be a director and leader in today’s world. It will:
- serve as an endorsement of your skills, professionalism and knowledge of corporate governance best-practice
- allow you to access special events that will broaden your network and keep you informed of the latest insights
The IoD is the only institute in the world to offer qualifications for directors under Royal Charter. Chartered director status signals that you’re committed to your role and the contribution you make as a director or leader of your organisation.
To apply for the Chartered Director Qualification, you must:
- be a full member or Fellow of the IoD
- have obtained a pass or above in the Certificate in Company Direction
- have obtained a pass or above in the Diploma in Company Direction in the last 10 years
You must also be able to demonstrate:
- substantial experience in one or more director or equivalent roles for a period of three full years during the last ten years
- for each directorship, that the board is autonomous and formally constituted, and comprises at least three directors – executive and non-executive
- that you participate in regular board meetings – at least four a year, with two or more other directors
- that you work for an organisation that has a minimum of five employees and generates a minimum turnover of £250,000 per annum
Roles or experience that date more than 10 years prior to the date of application will not be considered. The role(s) you detail in your application should include at least one that has been held in the last five years. You will need to have served a minimum of one year in post for each role you list in your application.
To apply, please complete the application form. The fee for application is £720 + VAT.
The Chartered Director Qualification assesses your practical director experience in three stages:
- overview of experience
- formal interview conducted by two chartered director assessors
The assessment is based on five areas central to organisational direction and governance:
- vision, purpose, values and ethics
- strategic thinking and stakeholder management
- delegation to management
- discharging your duties as a director and as a competent member of a collective and responsible body
- exercising effective and accountable leadership
Maintaining your status
Our Royal Charter and the Code of Professional Conduct requires that our chartered directors complete a minimum of 30 hours of CPD per year – a sample of which is audited annually. This requirement promotes reflective practice, giving you the freedom to determine what learning is valuable to you. Explore our range of CPD here.
I would always encourage someone to do the Chartered Director Programme. It gives you an in-depth understanding of the individual roles in your business. Knowledge of how they should be done, allows you to form clear expectations of your team.
Here to help
Please get in touch if you have any questions about our business courses. Our contact hours are 9am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday. If you would like someone from our team to contact you, please email us at [email protected] and we will get in touch within 24 hours on weekdays.