Membership grades and criteria
IoD membership is open to anyone with senior-level responsibilities – you do not need to be a registered director or working in a commercial entity to be eligible for Associate status but only practicing directors can obtain Member and Fellow status of the IoD.
Associate status with the IoD is for those who are not a practising director, including those:
- Working closely with directors, such as intrapreneurs
- Aspiring to be a director
- Studying as undergraduate students
- Who have been a director and are unlikely to be a director again but wish to stay in touch with the director community
Associate members of the IoD can use the AIoD post-nominal to denote their level of membership with the IoD.
Member status with the IoD is for those who are practising directors and meet the below criteria:
- Are a practicing director – or have been and intend to be again in the near future
- Have never been disqualified as a director
Member status is for both executive and non-executive directors and also their equivalents (in terms of responsibility/authority) within the public sector, third sector, trustees and the military.
Members of the IoD can use the MIoD post-nominal to denote their level of membership with the IoD.
Fellow status with the IoD is for those who are practising directors and meet the below criteria:
- Satisfies all requirements for Member (cited above)
- Invited to be a Fellow based on demonstrated commitment to be a ‘better director’, through one or more of:
- Professional development – reaching Diploma or CDir level
- Been a Member of the IoD for a minimum of 5 years demonstrating good performance and behaviour either professionally as a director, or in the Institute
- Made an extraordinary contribution to the Institute at discretion of the admissions process
Fellows of the IoD can use the FIoD post-nominal to denote their level of membership with the IoD.
If you would like to discuss membership grades and fees or require further information, please contact your local membership team here.