The role of the operations director varies according to the size of the company involved.
However, in general, he or she oversees all operational aspects of company strategy and is responsible for the flow of operations information to the chief executive, the board and, where necessary, external parties such as investors or financial institutions.
This factsheet discusses the role, main responsibilities, education and experience required.
Main purpose of job
To direct and control all production, purchasing and distribution operations of the company to ensure that business objectives are met efficiently and effectively.
- Direct and control all Production, Purchasing and Distribution employees to ensure that they are appropriately motivated and trained and carry their responsibilities to the required standard.
- Contribute to the development of the company’s corporate strategy and lead strategy development in the areas of Production, Purchasing and Distribution to ensure that company achieves its short and long-term objectives.
- Develop and implement all necessary policies and procedures to ensure that the Production, Purchasing and Distribution functions achieve their business objectives.
- Develop and control the budget for the Operations Department to ensure that the Department has all the resources required to meet its objectives within agreed financial parameters.
- Direct and control the Production function to ensure that finished goods of the required standard are available to customers within agreed costs and at the right times.
- Direct and control the Purchasing function to ensure that the company has all the resources required for production purposes within agreed costs and quality standards and at the right times.
- Direct and control the Warehousing and Distribution functions to ensure that customers are supplied with the right quantities of goods at the right times.
- Develop all necessary policies and procedures to ensure that a safe and healthy working environment is maintained at all company sites.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with all other directors to ensure that there is effective co-ordination of all company activities in support of corporate objectives.
- Act as the company’s main adviser on all issues relating operational functions and keep abreast of latest developments to ensure that the Company maintains its competitive position.
Knowledge skills and experience required
The job requires:
- A degree or equivalent and relevant professional qualifications.
- Extensive experience in operations management.
- Significant experience of the industry.
- Significant managerial experience.
- Excellent inter-personal and negotiating skills.
- Thorough knowledge of the company and its products and processes.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Excellent decision making skills.
© Institute of Directors. All rights reserved.