Japan – UK Symposium Celebrating the 150 years of Iwakura mission
If you are involved in international trade, or wish to be, this is a must attend event. The gathering will, among other things, consider business opportunities between the UK, Japan and how partnering can open up opportunities in third countries.
The Iwakura Mission stayed in Britain for 122 days. This mission was the most significant of the Japanese missions sent to Western countries at the dawn of the Meiji period in 1873. It was the first Japanese mission designed according to Western diplomatic principles and perhaps the first mission in world history to include a large proportion of a country’s leadership. The 150th Anniversary provides an ideal opportunity to raise relations to a new level focused on carrying out trade and realising new businesses opportunities between Japan and the UK.
Japan was the first to sign a bilateral trade agreement in the post-Brexit age. It has brought opportunities to restore digital competitiveness and productivity for the two nations covering for example Industrial Manufacturing, Healthcare, Financial Services, Retail, Systems integrators and technology providers, and the Public Sector.
The Institute of Directors (IoD) is here to act as a catalyst and encourage its members and the business community to celebrate the business and trade relationship. Participants will meet experts, business leaders, and trade policymakers, and network with liked minded business people. Japan is joining forces with like-minded countries to strengthen economic security, enhance supply chain resilience, and fund the capacity to conduct advanced research in Science, Technology and Innovation, which brings an immense opportunity for the two nations.
- Meet delegates interested in promoting and doing business with Japan and the UK.
- Meet with companies trading with UK and Japan
- Opportunity to network
- Develop opportunities and succeed in doing business with Japan, UK and other third countries.
- Learn about trading and governance issues and opportunities
- Hear about business opportunities in the UK and Japan
- Be relevant player in the Japan and UK business and dealing with issues and opportunities
- Provide content on critical topics of interest in trade, directorships and in doing business with Japan and the UK
- 1:30 - 2PM - Registration
- 2PM - 2:05PM - Opening
- 2:05 - 2:10PM - Welcome Address
- 2:10 - 2:20PM - Chief Guest Keynote
- 2:20 - 2:30PM - Doing business in the UK powerhouse?
- 2:30 - 2:40PM - Keynote Ambassador Hayashi, Embassy of Japan
- 2:40 - 2:55PM - Keynote
- 2:55 - 3:20PM - Break - Tea/Coffee
Fireplace discussions & Roundtable
- 3:20 - 3:40PM - 1872 to 2022 Japan and the UK reflections from Iwakura Mission
- Lord Charles Bruce*, Hon. Patron of the Japan Society of Scotland, Patron of the Scottish Centre of Tagore Studies and Chairman of the Kolkata Scottish Heritage Trust
- Paul Madden, former Ambassador to Japan
- 3:40 - 4:00PM - What does UK mean to Japan?
- Alderman Prof. Michael Maneli, former Sheriff and elect Lord Mayor, City of London Corporation
- Yuuichiro Nakajima, Chair, Japan H.I. Limited, and Managing Director, Crimson Phoenix Limited
- John Dickie*, Chief Executive Officer, BusinessLDN (previously London First)
- Moderator: Doug Wills, Editor Emeritus, Evening Standards, The Independent
- 4:00 - 4:30PM - Future business and Security relationships betweenJapan and the UK
- Lord Viscount Trenchard (Hugh), Vice Chair British/Japanese All Party Parliamentary Group
- Emma Wegoda, Head of Asia Pacific, City of London Corporation
- Amanda Brooks, CBE, Director General for Trade Negotiations, Department of International Trade*
- Yasuhiro Matsuda, Minister for financial affairs, Embassy of Japan in the UK
- Moderator: Bill Emmott*, Chair, International Trade Institute
- 4:30 - 5:00PM - Innovation, Technology and Spin-offs from South
- Dr Kathryn Walsh, Executive Director, University of London, Innovation & Enterprise
- Dr. Mike Short, Technology Advisor, Department of Trade, GOV.UK
- Ichiro Tominaga, Head of Investment Office in Japan, Managing Director, Union Bancaire Privée, UBP SA
- Moderator: Ross Hyett, Oxford Investment Consultants LLP
- 5:00 - 5:30PM - Arts, Culture and Tourism, opportunities to collaborate between Japan and the UK
- Dr. Kate Taylor-Jones, Head of East Asian Studies and Professor of Asian Cinema
- Martin Barrow, GBS, OBE, Order of Rising Sun, Director, Matheson & Co. Ltd., and Visit Japan Ambassador
- Rie Hamaguchi, Former Foreign Service Diplomat, Global Business Development Director Property & Finance Group.
- Michael Houlihan, Director General, Japan House or Carolyn Burnett, Executive Director, Japan House
- Moderator: Prof. Thomas Schmidt, Head of the School of Arts, Languages and Cultures, University of Manchester
- 5:30PM - Closing Comment and Break
Business and Networking event
- 5:30 - 9:30PM - Business and Networking event – drinks/canapés served by Mogumogu, a specialist in Japanese Cuisine
- 9:30PM - End of event
Who is attending: IoD and supporter members and non-members that include CxOs Managing Directors, Directors, International Trade Executives, Business Development Executives, Trade Policy Makers, Representatives of Trade Agencies and Government interested in doing business in/between Japan and the UK. Participants will be able to learn about key issues driving the national trade debate and network with thought leaders on trade.
The event is supported by: Embassy of Japan, Department of International Trade, British Japanese All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) Japan Society, Japan Chambers of Commerce and Industries, Japan Foundation, Japan Association in the UK, Rotary Club of London, Japan Exchange Group, techUK
*Speakers subject to availability
Alderman Prof. Michael Maneli
Dormer Sheriff and elect Lord Mayor, City of London Corporation
Amanda Brooks, CBE
Director General for Trade Negotiations, Department of International Trade*
Ambassador Hajime Hayashi
Embassy of Japan in the UK
Chair, International Trade Institute*
Editor Emeritus, Evening Standards, The Independent
Dr Kate Taylor-Jones
Head of East Asian Studies and Professor of Asian Cinema
Dr Kathryn Walsh
Executive Director, University of London, Innovation & Enterprise
Dr Mike Short
Chief Scientific Advisor, Department of Trade, GOV.UK
Head of Asia Pacific, City of London Corporation
Head of Investment Office in Japan, Managing Director, Union Bancaire Privée, UBP S
Chief Executive, BusinessLDN (previously London First)*
Director General, Institute of Directors
Kwasi Kwarteng MP*
Chancellor of the Exchequer, previously Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy*
Lord Charles Bruce
Hon. Patron of the Japan Society of Scotland, Patron of the Scottish Centre of Tagore Studies and Chairman of the Kolkata Scottish Heritage Trust
Lord Viscount Trenchard (Hugh)
Vice Chair British/Japanese All Party Parliamentary Group
GBS, OBE, Order of Rising Sun, Director, Matheson & Co. Ltd., and Visit Japan Ambassador
Director General, Japan House*
Former Ambassador to Japan
Prof Thomas Schmidt
Head of the School of Arts, Languages and Cultures, University of Manchester
Deputy Mayor of London for Business
Former Foreign Service Diplomat, Global Business Development Director Property & Finance Group.
Oxford Investment Consultants LLP
Chair, Japan H.I. Limited, and Managing Director, Crimson Phoenix Limited
Connect with other directors, develop yourself and influence the people that matter.
Free registration with IoD
Stay up-to-date on issues that affect directors and get access to free resources.