The chair has a critical influence on a board's style, composition, balance and performance. This popular course provides a unique opportunity to review the chair’s role in light of current legal requirements and good practice.
Whether you are newly appointed, or looking to improve your performance with a fresh perspective, practical case-study led insight shared on the day will equip you with the essential knowledge and skill-set to fulfil your role successfully.
“I marvelled at just how much I took away from the IoD’s Role of the Chair programme. It was packed with value, common sense and good advice and is just what I need as I embark upon the journey of learning how to be a good chairman. Thank you - I’m so grateful for your time and energetic tutoring!”
Mike Soutar, chairman, Shortlist Media Limited
This course provides an opportunity to review your role and update yourself on current good practice. Gain an improved understanding of the various roles which a chair has to perform and your influence on composing and developing a better board, with an update on good boardroom practice including recent developments in Corporate Governance.
By attending this course you will gain the knowledge and skills to:
- Appreciate the board's role, purpose and key tasks
- Define the role and responsibilities of the chair in successfully leading and chairing a board
- Compose and develop a more effective board
- Assess key director relationships
- Make proper use of both executive and non-executive directors
- Plan and run effective board meetings
- Understand the skills and personal qualities most likely to help achieve competence in the role
Read full bio
Expert on commercial transactions, company law, corporate governance and intellectual property.