Social mobility - a governance issue for business
This insightful panel discussion, jointly hosted by the IoD Centre for Corporate Governance and the University of Bristol School of Management, delves into the crucial steps companies can take to address social mobility challenges and promote diversity and inclusivity within corporate governance.
Social mobility holds significant importance in the realm of corporate governance for multiple reasons. Companies stand to gain strategic advantages by attracting and retaining individuals from diverse backgrounds. Moreover, recruiting from varied groups to boards and executive committees signals a commitment to fairness, fostering inclusivity and trust. As businesses, we have a collective responsibility to support talented and driven individuals who may face visible and invisible barriers on their journey to success.
Key Discussion Points:
- Understanding the strategic benefits of attracting and retaining talent from diverse backgrounds.
- The significance of inclusivity in boardrooms and executive committees.
- Identifying and overcoming barriers to social mobility.
- Business responsibility in supporting talented individuals facing visible and invisible barriers.
- Exploring best practices for fostering an inclusive and diverse corporate culture.
Panellists & hosts include:
- Professor Lee Elliot Major OBE, Britain’s first Professor of Social Mobility. Appointed by the University of Exeter to be a global leader in the field, his work is dedicated to improving the prospects of disadvantaged young people.
- Sir Peter Gershon KBE, former Chair of National Grid, a non-executive Chairman of the Aircraft Carrier Alliance Management Board and a Trustee of The Sutton Trust.
- Emma Turnbull, Community Investment Manager at Allen & Overy.
- Chris Hodge, Senior Advisor at the IoD Centre for Corporate Governance.
- Will Harvey, Professor of Leadership at the University of Bristol and International Research Fellow at the Oxford University Centre for Corporate Reputation.
Watch this webinar recording to learn how best to address social mobility challenges and promote diversity and inclusivity within corporate governance.