Our legal helpline provides IoD members with free and prompt business legal advice on a wide range of employment, company, commercial and personal legal matters in the UK and Europe.
- Exclusive to IoD members
- Free, unbiased and confidential advice on a vast range of legal issues
- Advice given over the telephone only (call charges apply)
- Up to 25 calls per member, per calendar year; up to 20 minutes per each call
- Open 8am – 8pm, Monday – Friday; and 9am – 12 noon, Saturday, excluding UK public holidays
- How the Legal helpline operates in detail
"Is there a qualifying period that must be completed by my employees before they can take any annual leave?"
"Are my employees entitled to payment in lieu of untaken holiday at the end of their employment and can I claim compensation from an employee who has taken too much paid holiday?"
"As an employer, am I obliged to provide a reference for an employee or ex-employee?"
"Why do I need to keep track of parental leave taken by new employees?"
"Can I monitor my employees' emails?"
"A male employee has asked to take leave after the birth of his child. Am I obliged to comply with his request?"
"I am the MD of a small company and am considering making an employee redundant. I am aware of the need for consultation on large-scale redundancies but I have been told that I need to consult with the affected employee in this case too – is this correct?"
"Am I obliged to give my employees contracts of employment?"
"Can I ask my employees to work more than 48 hours per week?"
"I want to dismiss an employee who has been with us for less than a year. Can I do this? "
Plus questions regarding:
- difficult divorce or separation
- problems with neighbours or landlords
- house purchase queries
- redundancy looming
- personal injury
- spiralling debts
- road traffic offences