This 2.5-day residential programme, developed with the IoD, explores the role of the governance professional, how they can become an authoritative voice on governance, while providing effective support for the chair and the wider board. In addition to the residential element, participants will complete a strength’s profiling diagnostic tool and participate in action learning sets. IoD Associate membership is also included as part of the programme fee.
Who is the course for?
This course is open to governance professionals in the further education and training sector.
This programme, developed with the ETF, will help develop the governance professional’s leadership capabilities, enabling them to anticipate and resolve strategic problems, support the Chair and the development of an effective board, while serving as an authoritative voice and trusted adviser on governance. Prior to the course, all participants will complete a strengths profiling tool which will identify existing strengths along with possible development areas, as well as providing insight into the individual’s personal leadership approach.
Participants will have the opportunity to reflect on their roles as governance leaders throughout the course and following its completion by participating in virtual action learning sets, which will take place virtually over a six-month timeframe.
Having completed this programme, the participant will be able to:
- Become an authoritative voice on governance and regulation.
- Exercise authority over and accountability for the governance function.
- Provide effective support for the Chair through deep understanding of issues of boardroom dynamics and the interpersonal skills necessary to be the trusted adviser of all in the boardroom.
- Anticipate strategic problems, engage with the right people, and mobilise resources to solve them.
- Are solutions-driven and demonstrates tenacity, resilience, and persistence in reaching the right decision.
- Use networks for support on sensitive or difficult matters to avoid professional isolation.
It is expected that those participating will have gained a governance qualification or attended relevant training on governance (such as through The Chartered Governance Institute or the ETF Governance Professionals’ Expert programme) prior to joining this programme.
The 2.5-day residential programme is held at Ettington Park Hotel near Stratford-Upon-Avon, Warwickshire. Full board accommodation is included in the course fee.
Prior to the course, participants will be required to complete a strengths profiling tool. Following the residential component, participants will participate in five action learning sets, which will take place virtually during a six-month timeframe.
Book now Download the brochure