Mental health at work 2020
A recent survey* revealed the scale and impact of the pandemic on the mental health of employees. The findings also highlighted the impressive progress that employers have continued to make in the face of more than six months of disruption.
Mental Health at Work 2020
- 41% of employees have experienced mental heath symptoms caused, or worsened, by work this year
- 51% of poor mental health caused by work this year was due to pressure
- 76% say colleagues are considerate of their mental wellbeing, and a further…
- 69% believe the same of their managers
- Individuals are increasingly telling no-one about their mental health issues, with 27% of employees in 2019 and 30% of employees in 2020 not sharing their struggles
- 35% of men compared to 26% of women keep work-related mental health problems to themselves
- 62% of managers say that, at times, they have had to put the interest of the organisation above the wellbeing of their colleagues
- The number of employees who feel that their organisation supports their mental health is on the rise, with 55% of employees in 2019 and 63% of employees in 2020 feeling as though they are without support at work
- 56% of employees now feel comfortable talking about mental health in the workplace
- 62% of employees now feel comfortable talking about stress in the workplace
- 14% of those who had experienced work-related poor mental health who spoke to their line manager
- 58% of employees felt their manager recognises that providing emotional support to their team is part of their job
Source: Mental Health of Work 2020: Business in the Community in association with Bupa (3,614 UK workers surveyed).
We want to help keep you feeling your best and your business thriving – especially now, which is why we work with health insurance broker, Healthier Intermediaries, to make finding the right cover for you simpler.
As an IoD member, you benefit from 10% discount** on Bupa By You health insurance.
0800 030 8007
* Mental Health at Work 2020: Business in the Community in association with Bupa (3,614 UK workers surveyed).
** Applies to eligible Institute of Directors members on quotes for new Bupa By You policies. Discount will be reviewed on 22/10/2021 and any changes will apply to renewals and new quotes thereafter. Quotes are valid for 14 days. Terms and conditions apply.
Institute of Directors is an introducer to Healthier Intermediaries Ltd. Healthier Intermediaries Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered in England and Wales No: 9886202. Registered office: Upper Level Suite 2, 3 Hawke Street Business Park, Hawke Street, Sheffield S9 2SU.
Bupa health insurance is provided by Bupa Insurance Limited. Registered in England and Wales No. 3956433. Bupa Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority. Arranged and administered by Bupa Insurance Services Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered in England and Wales No. 3829851. Registered office: 1 Angel Court, London EC2R 7HJ.