High performing boards for better business
Boards have an increasingly critical role to play in supporting the economy and our societies in a sustainable, responsible and ethical way. As such they must continuously adapt and evolve their way of working. Against this backdrop, never has there been a more crucial time for an independent board review.
What we offer
Setting the standard
With over a century’s worth of experience working with directors from start-ups to multi-nationals, banks to NGOs and public sector to charities, we set the standard for what makes an effective director, a high-performing board, and a successful organisation.
Proven track record
We have a proven track record delivering fully independent board effectiveness reviews. Highly experienced practising directors with depth and breadth of knowledge and experience will help you identify the strengths and capabilities of your board, as well as areas for development.
Our board reviews take into account the size, complexity and level of maturity of individual companies, and their development objectives. Corporate governance principles are applied in a pragmatic and flexible manner, reflecting the individual circumstances of each company.
Our robust and flexible eight step methodology delivers an objective review of a board’s effectiveness.
The process is informed by leading guidance and principles of corporate governance including own Director Competency Framework, built around knowledge, skills and mindset.
Each of the steps can be tailored to reflect the maturity, culture and composition of the board:
- Discovery and analysis, including a review of key documentation and board level activities
- Customisation and confirmation of questions for the IoD Board Effectiveness Questionnaire
- Distribution of IoD Board Effectiveness Questionnaire to agreed stakeholders
- Structured and confidential interviews with agreed stakeholders
- Observations of board and committee meetings
- Drafting of findings and recommendations sent to the sponsor and IoD oversight lead
- Presentation of findings, recommendations and formulation of an action plan
- Submission of final report and de-brief
IOD Board Review Team
Our diverse team of board evaluators are all practicing directors with extensive experience conducting board reviews across all sectors and industries worldwide. They provide essential impartial insight into your board and its performance, and a baseline for immediate and future development.
Here to help
Please get in touch if you have any questions about our business courses. Our contact hours are 9am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday. If you would like someone from our team to contact you, please use our contact form and we will respond within 24 hours.