IoD East Midlands is looking for mentors from among our member businesses to work with our increasing student membership.
This is a fantastic opportunity for you to encourage, motivate and work with some highly driven and enthused students as they look to bridge the gap between their academic careers and the work sector.
We need company owners, directors and managers to inspire today’s students from across the East Midlands to become tomorrow’s best leaders.
The demands on your time are not onerous: a regular meeting schedule will be organised for you, and you can offer support via phone and email, too.
If you are interested in volunteering your time, to tell your business story to the students, host a seminar on a
topic of interest to the student body at your workplace or through the £10 Challenge later this year, please
email Sophie Jackson at Sophie.firstname.lastname@example.org or call the IoD office on 0115 848 6190.
IoD £10 Challenge 2019
The £10 Challenge is where Nottingham Trent University students are placed into groups alongside a business mentor and given 10 days to turn £10 seed capital into as much profit using entrepreneurial skill and initiative with all money raised going to the John van Geest Cancer Research Centre.
The challenge aids students in developing fundraising skills, a task that demands increased levels of teamworking, creative thinking and networking.
What is the £10 Challenge?
- The student members will be split into small groups, each group will be assigned a business mentor
- They will be given £10 and 10 days to make as much profit as possible
- This challenge gives students an opportunity to gain first-hand experience in the world of business
- Using their business and entrepreneurial skills to raise money for the John van Geest Cancer Research Centre.
Why be a £10 Challenge Mentor?
- To help students develop key skills and an entrepreneurs mindset
- Network with a range of people, from other business mentors to university academics and students
- Share your business experience with the students and offer guidance and support to your group
Examples of ideas on how previous students raised money;
- Sold glow sticks outside of nightclubs to then re-invest the profit to buy more stock.
- Sponsored 24 hour static bike ride to Amsterdam.
- Sponsored head shave
- Speed dating event
- Launch Event | 29th October 2019 | Nottingham Trent University | 5.30pm-7.30pm
- Celebration Event | 26th November 2019 | Nottingham Trent University | 5.30pm-7.30pm
Any other information?
To find out more about the £10 challenge, the following video was created by placement student Rumaysa Bhimani about the £10 Challenge in 2018 which raised £6,686.83 for the John van Geest Cancer Research Centre!
IoD £10 Challenge