The IoD concentrates on the issues of most concern to business, examining them in depth and drawing substantially on our members' experience.
We exert our influence in a number of different ways:
- By taking a position in the media, both nationally and locally
- Through direct discussion with government ministers
- Through detailed discussions with civil servants
- Through written responses to consultation documents
- Through production of research and policy papers
To maximise our influence, we communicate the IoD viewpoint to the full range of policy-makers. We are in frequent contact with ministers, civil servants, special advisers and government agencies to ensure that IoD members' views are represented accurately at all stages of the policy process.
The Director General of the IoD, Simon Walker, is our senior spokesman. He has a busy programme of meetings with cabinet ministers, permanent secretaries and senior opposition figures. He is frequently quoted in the national media, putting the IoD message across on radio, TV and in the newspapers.
Where appropriate, the IoD works in partnership with other business groups in the UK to maximise the impact of the business point of view. In addition, the IoD currently provides unpaid secretariat support to the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Trade and Investment.