Skip to main content
Become a member
  • Register
  • Login

Register Login

Tax relief on IoD membership


Did you know that you can claim tax relief on your membership subscription with the IoD?

The Institute of Directors has been approved by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for members to claim tax relief for their annual membership subscription fees.

Do I qualify?

You can claim tax relief on your annual membership subscription fees if:

  • IoD membership is essential to do your job or it’s helpful for your work
  • You pay your IoD membership fees yourself (i.e. not paid by your employer)

If you qualify through the above statements then you could be saving up to £250 per annum on your membership fees with the IoD.

How do I claim?

If you are not required to fill in a tax return, you can get tax relief for your allowable expenses by completing the P87 Tax relief form online.

You have to fill out the form if this is the first time you require tax relief for expenses. This form only needs to be filled out once, all subsequent claims can be made over the phone on 0300 200 3300.

  1. To complete the form you need to know your:
    • Employer PAYE reference (found on your payslip under ‘Tax Office Ref’)
    • Payroll/assignment number (also on your payslip)
    • National insurance number
  2. If your first claim is for a previous employer, ensure you send the completed form to the correct tax office for the PAYE reference.
  3. If your claim is for a previous tax year, you should receive a cheque through the post to reimburse you for the tax paid for this subscription. For example, if you’re on the basic tax rate of 20%, you will receive approximately £81-£125 for your annual subscription to the IoD. If your claim is for the current tax year, they will change your tax code going forward.
  4. Once you have informed HMRC that you pay a regular subscription charge and your P87 has been accepted, your tax code will be changed to reflect this and you should not have to claim every year for the same subscription.

Time limits?

The time limits for asking for tax relief for your expenses are shown in the table below. You have a maximum of 4 years to backdate a claim.

Tax year Tax year Tax year
2012-13 5th April 2013
April 2017
2013-14 5th April 2014
April 2018
2014-15 5th April 2015
April 2019
2015-16 5th April 2016
April 2020

If you would like further clarification or information please contact the HMRC on 0300 200 3300.