Leading figures in North West business were celebrated at the 2016 IoD ‘Director of the Year’ awards gala dinner ceremony in Manchester.
The initiative recognises the achievements of business leaders across the region, from entrepreneurs driving innovative start-ups to those running multi-million pound turnover global organisations.
Winners included Manchester businessman Tim Bacon, of Living Ventures Group, who took home the ‘IoD North West’s Chairman’s Award’. This special award, chosen from winners across all the categories was presented by Chair, Mike Perls. The award was bestowed on Bacon in recognition of the huge success of his hospitality business, which includes the national chain The Living Room and the more recently launched brands, The Botanist and The Alchemist.
Mike Blackburn was the recipient of the IoD North West ‘Non Executive Director of the Year’ award, recognised for his leadership as Regional Director of BT and Chairman of Greater Manchester Local Enterprise Partnership. Mike also sits on the board of the Lancashire LEP.
The IOD Director of the Year awards is the key initiative for business leaders in the North West, championing those who are spearheading prosperous enterprises and acting as ambassadors for the region. The winners span sectors including healthcare, hospitality, construction and marketing, and demonstrate the huge diversity of businesses based in the North West of the UK.
The full winners were:
• Chartered Director of the Year: Jo Ritzema, WCF Ltd
• Start Up Director of the Year: Richard Wood, Grain
• Leadership in Corporate Responsibility Director of the Year: Diane Modahl, The Diane Modahl Sports Foundation
• Family Business Director of the Year: Jim Nicholson, Pochin’s Ltd
• International Director of the Year: Emma Sheldon, Vernacare Ltd
• Director of the Year (Large Company): Mike Brown, BLM
• Non-Executive Director of the Year and IoD North West Director of the Year: Mike Blackburn
• Public Sector/ Third Sector Director of the Year: Yvonne Harrison, GreaterSport
• Science and Innovation Director of the Year: Dr Neil Murray, Redx Pharma Plc
• Director of the Year (Medium Company): Paul Kenyon, Avecto
• Director of the Year (Small Company): Darryl Cooke, gunnercooke LLP
• Young Director of the Year: Helen Slinger, BT Business Direct and BT Shop
Rachel Smith, NW Regional Director at the Institute of Directors said: “These ambitious and inspirational leaders announced as winners in our annual awards reflect the diversity of the North West business landscape.
“At the Institute of Directors, we champion regional business success, and support those that are making waves locally, nationally and internationally, across many sectors and sizes. We congratulate all of these exceptional winners for demonstrating strength in leadership to drive their organisations forward, and for flying the flag for the North West.”
The awards ceremony took place at the Hilton Hotel on Deansgate, Manchester on 25th February and was attended by hundreds of influencers and business luminaries. The NW Director of the Year Awards are sponsored and partnered by ACCA, BASF, Bruntwood, Emirates, GE Capital, Salford Professional Development and UKTI.