IoD North West is looking for a new Cheshire Chair to take over from Bill Carr when his tenure comes to an end in February 2019.
The successful candidate has a track record in senior leadership, and will be a strong advocate for IoD North West. They will build and sustain an active committee and working alongside the regional team to support a growing membership base of business leaders and promote excellent governance and responsible business practices.
He or she will have a great understanding of Cheshire and the wider North West, and will be expected to promote the IoD with the Cheshire business community, public sector and policy makers.
What it entails:
It really is what you can make it. The Regional Director and her team are keen to enhance the member experience and member engagement in the North West. This involves bringing quality events and CPD to the region, and ensuring that we are well connected to policy and decision makers so that we can offer the right support to our members.
Formal requirements are:
• Strategic steering of Cheshire priorities and activities, within IoD structures.
• Building and leading a Cheshire committee of Ambassadors to advance our strategic ambitions, by:
1. introducing Members of suitable calibre (i.e. those who are prepared to contribute at meetings, assume responsibility for designated Ambassador activities (description attached) and who represent a cross- section of local business leadership).
2. bringing out the best of its potential and ensuring that it functions effectively with a positive team spirit, and provides a group capable of creating the greatest possible influence within Cheshire.
• Chairing regular meetings (at least every 2 months).
• Representing the IoD at external events and meetings.
• Building/maintaining/enhancing relationships with key local organisations (e.g. University of Chester, local councils/MPs, local businesses, business organisations)
• Acting as a Cheshire spokesperson on IoD matters and being sufficiently well versed on national policies and in Cheshire business interests to comment on behalf of the IoD when requested.
• Pro-actively building contacts with key regional business and community figures.
• Attending relevant events put on by the IoD as appropriate.
The Cheshire Chair is the principal representative of the IoD in Cheshire. Specific responsibilities include:
• Upholding and promoting the policies and national decisions of the IoD within the branch, and ensuring that national standards and objectives are applied.
• Establishing and maintaining top level relationships with the leaders of other business organisations and major businesses in the Cheshire, and the leaders of other public agencies.
• Agreeing a broad strategy and a plan for the year with Committee Members within the national framework of the IoD.
• Ensuring that members of the Committee are kept fully and accurately briefed on IoD national policies, activities and standards.
• Ensuring that the annual Regional budget and targets, and the Institute's financial procedures are complied with.
• Supporting activity in the branch and wider region, for example by attending a number of events.
• Supporting the Regional Director.
• Expressing a view on regional strategy and public statements.
As a branch Chair, you’d be part of our Regional Committee, led by our Regional Chair Mike Blackburn.
Objectives of the Regional Committee include:
• To promote national IoD objectives and policies within the Region.
• To ensure that the IoD has appropriate influence with regional bodies (eg LEPs. Councils, metro Mayors), and has a strong profile within the regional business community.
• To ensure that IoD national services (e.g. professional development) are available and promoted in the region.
• To drive and co-ordinate activity within the Region and promote best practice within it.
• To increase membership in the Region.
• To obtain net income through events and/or sponsorship.
• To run major events at a regional level.
To arrange a call to discuss the role with the Regional Director, please email email@example.com
To apply, simply send your CV and a covering letter that includes your thoughts and intentions for how IoD North West could better operate in the future, and why you’d be great in the role to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to speak to Claire before you apply, please email her to arrange a call.
• Deadline: Midnight on Monday 28 January 2019
• Interviews: 13 February 2019
• Start role: February 2019