IoD £10 Challenge
Do you have what it takes to become a mentor?
The IoD £10 Challenge is a challenge set up for students which aims to raise money for charity whilst building on business experience. It has been running for over five years at various institutions across the UK, and this year students at London South Bank University will be given the opportunity to take part.
The IoD £10 Challenge starts with students being split into small teams of 6 – 8 and each team is given £10. Using their entrepreneurial skills and with the help of an assigned mentor, each team must come up with a unique idea in order to grow the £10 in ten days. This provides the students with an opportunity to gain first-hand experience in the world of business, while building a range of skills and knowledge.
Each group is assigned a business mentor who provides the students with advice, guidance and expertise. We are looking for IoD members with a broad range of business experience to support a group of LSBU students as a mentor, during our IoD £10 Challenge this November.
All proceeds raised will go to Centrepoint, a charity organisation which provides housing and support for young people in London, and many other cities across the country. The charity aims to end youth homelessness, and give young people a future.
In 2017, students across NTU and LSBU raised an amazing value of £12,645.86!
Your role as a mentor:
- Guide students throughout the challenge and provide support
- Set your group a deadline for submitting their ideas
- Provide feedback on your group's ideas and share any valuable experience
- Give encouragement throughout the challenge
- Assist the students in developing their skills and social profiles (LinkedIn)
- Offer a friendly approach, with unbiased support and direction
Benefits to you as a mentor include:
- Gain new ideas and perspectives
- Network with other mentors, university academics and talented students
- Develop leadership and management skills
- Increasing confidence and motivation
- Enhance your mentoring experience
- Opportunity to reflect on your own practice
- Improving your job satisfaction and personal satisfaction through supporting the development of others, and raising money for charity.
Mentors will also receive a certificate of participation from the IoD
2 key dates and times:
- Monday 12th November 18:00 - 20:00 - Launch Event
- Monday 3rd December 18:00 - 20:00 - Celebration Event
Are you interested in becoming a mentor? Register today:
There is a limited number of spaces available so be sure to register your interest as soon as possible