The IoD is committed to ensuring all members, no matter where they may live or work, receive a high level of membership benefit.
As London Regional Chair, you will be the Senior volunteer Leader within our IoD London branch community. You will have the opportunity to work alongside the IoD Head office team, and our two unique London Branches along with their Chairs & Ambassadors, to support a growing membership base of business leaders. You will offer your expertise, insights and thought-leadership, and the benefit of your experience, to a diverse membership base of 6000+ leaders of start-ups, scale-ups and private and public sector enterprises.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrable track record in senior leadership, with established business interests and a network of established contacts within London. They will be a strong advocate for good governance and responsible business practices amongst Directors, with a desire to give back to the community. They will help to promote and recognise great businesses and their stories within London, and to promote the positive impact of business on society, whilst actively supporting IoD members in their drive to grow purposeful, responsible companies.
They will have a great understanding of the London business economy, and will be expected to promote the IoD within the London’s business community, public sector and policy makers, whilst receiving the IoD’s support and unique opportunities for connections and a policy platform.
Ideally, they will have worked with the IoD in a voluntary capacity before, ideally in a Chair capacity, and have had contact with, and experience of our extant London branch offering. This will allow them to help shape and support the growth of membership within our London community, on an initial 12-months trial basis.
What it entails:
We are constantly driving to enhance and future-proof the IoD member experience and improve member engagement in London, whilst continuing to champion and support our current and prospective membership. This involves ensuring that we are well connected to policy and decision makers, and are championing the Royal charter objects of the IoD, around Better Business, Better Directors, Better Economy and Better Services, so that we can be there for our members when they need it most. Truly becoming the go to place for Leaders looking to grow, develop, and transform their businesses and to connect with their senior peers.
The London regional Chair is the principal volunteer representative of the IoD in the area and responsibilities include the following, delivered in association with & through our Branch Ambassadors team:
- personally demonstrate a high commitment to good governance and professionalism;
- have high profile in their nominated function, sector of focus topic, within the branch geography;
- influence a wide range of key stakeholders;
- champion and support marketing, publicity and events to raise awareness of IoD;
- represent and promote the interests of Members in their area;
- promote membership of the IoD to directors of businesses of all sizes in their area;
- promote the CPD route to Chartered Director;
- provide comment to media on specific topics in line with IoD policy;
- attend & chair London regional meetings;
- attend branch events & promote the benefits of joining the branch & the IoD
- Support IoD members & signposting them to the service that best suits their need;
- Proactively looking to engage with & promote IoD members (and potential members) positive business stories and successes to the IoD;
- Bringing other great leaders (like yourself) into the IoD to continually renew, and increase the Policy voice impact of the membership,
- Provide learning opportunities for all members through fantastic peer to peer networking & connectivity;
- Strategic input into branch activities, within IoD structures;
- Being the visible face of empowering, inclusive Leadership within your branch area;
- Ensuring the future success of London Branches by Building the Leadership ambassadorial group by:
- Introducing Members of suitable calibre to the Branch leadership team (i.e. those who are prepared to contribute at meetings, assume responsibility for designated Sectorial or Policy activities and who represent a cross- section of local business leadership).
- Acting as a spokesperson on IoD matters and being sufficiently well versed on national policies and in regional business interests to comment on behalf of the IoD when requested.
- Pro-actively building contacts with key regional business and community figures.
Objectives of the Branches
- To promote national IoD objectives and policies within London
- To ensure that the IoD has appropriate influence with regional bodies (eg LEPs. Councils, Mayors), and has a strong profile within the regional business community.
- To ensure that IoD national services (e.g. professional development) are available and promoted in the region.
- To drive and support activity within the London Region and promote best practice within it.
- To support & retain/increase membership in the London Region, through proactive engagement with business leaders;
- To champion and support IoD members, regardless of their membership category, across the City;
WIIFM (What’s In It For Me)?
To arrange a call to discuss the role with the Director of regions, please email Alan Fitzwater
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org outlining how you feel your skills and experience are aligned with the Chair role. Points to cover in your email application include:
- Your career background
- Experience, if any, of working with a leadership team / committee
- Your area of IoD expertise e.g. IoD Ambassador for HR
- How long you have been an IoD member
- What being a member of the IoD means to you
- Your application will be reviewed by our Leadership team and a decision will be communicated to you following the next Leadership Team meeting.
- IoD Regions and Branches will contact you and arrange an interview (subject to shortlisting)
- Details of the appointment will be added to the www.iod.com website.
- The successful applicant will be introduced to the following people over a period of 3-4 weeks:
- New Chair announced to local media
- introduced to counterparts in other IoD branches
- introduced to Head of the IoD Policy Unit
Deadline: Midnight on 25th October 2017