Exclusive to IoD members
The service provides IoD members with free and prompt advice on a wide range of employment, company, commercial and personal legal matters in the UK and Europe.
- Is there a qualifying period that must be completed by my employees or workers before they can take any annual leave?
- Are my employees entitled to payment in lieu of untaken holiday at the end of their employment and can compensation be claimed from an employee who has taken too much paid holiday?
- As an employer am I obliged to provide a reference for an employee or ex-employee?
- Why do I need to keep track of parental leave taken by new employees?
- Can I monitor my employees' e-mails?
- A male employee has asked to take leave after the birth of his child. Am I obliged to comply with his request?
- I am the MD of a small company and am considering making an employee redundant. I am aware of the need for consultation on large-scale redundancies but I have been told that I need to consult with the affected employee - is this correct?
- Am I obliged to give my employees contracts of employment?
- Can I ask my employees to work more than 48 hours per week, which I understand is the limit set by the Working Time Directive?
- I want to dismiss an employee who has been with us for less than a year. Can I do this?
Plus questions regarding:
- difficult divorce or separation
- problems with neighbours or landlords
- house purchase queries
- redundancy looming
- personal injury
- spiraling debts
- road traffic offences
In addition, IoD members have access to online guidance on personal legal matters via an exclusive microsite, Directors' LX Personal.
- Exclusive to IoD members
- Free, unbiased and confidential advice on a vast range of legal issues
- Advice given over the telephone only (call charges apply)
- Up to 25 calls per calendar year, up to 20 minutes per each call
- Open 8am - 8pm, Monday - Friday, and 9am - 12 noon, Saturday, excluding UK public holidays.
- How the service operates in detail
Find a Lawyer
IoD members who may need further support with a business or personal legal issue and wish to find a lawyer, in a particular geographic location and/or with a specialist expertise on a particular legal subject, can take advantage of a 'Find a lawyer' facility, offered by Law Express, the provider of the IoD legal helpline.