Executive coaching is a powerful, focused and effective development tool for senior leaders in any organisation. Coaching sessions are targeted, skilled conversations that challenge and support executives to lead themselves, others and their business to excel.
Whether you are focused on attaining an individual career goal, success with a team project, or are going through a time of transition or return to work after a break, the IoD coaching service is designed to support you in achieving your ambitions via targeted and skilled conversations with an expert coach.
Executive coaching works best when it:
- is used to help drive culture change in an organisation
- helps individuals to address specific issues or enhance their performance when taking on a particularly challenging work role or project
- provides professional and personal development that is particularly appropriate for those in senior positions who have little time and for whom being lonely at the top can be a common experience
- is driven by the needs of the client. It is about assisting people to achieve their full potential, with a focus on what they want to achieve now and in the future. It is a partnership between the executive coaches and the client for a defined period of time.
"My coach helped me to gain clarity over the big issues needing resolution, and identified how I needed to change the way I interacted with directors to address the issues without avoiding difficult matters."
The benefits to the individual
- Preparation for role/career changes and joining the board
- Managing stress, change, conflict or crisis
- Enhancing personal impact and performance;
- Identifying solutions to specific work-related issues
- Increased openness to personal learning and development
The benefits to the organisation
- Greater commitment and buy in from directors and senior managers
- Retaining talent and keeping your staff engaged
- More creative outlook in business planning
- Improved management of other staff
- Building positive relationships between people and departments
- Facilitating the adoption of a new culture in your business
Return on investment: Coaching generates learning and clarity for forward action with a commitment to measurable outcomes. According to the recent ICF Global Coaching Client Study, conducted by PWC, companies (86%) say they made their investment back from executive coaching.
The IoD Executive Coaching Service
- Executive coaching
- One-to-one executive coaching
- Team coaching
- Return to work coaching
- Transition coaching
- Virtual executive coaching
Executive coaching can also be integrated into our bespoke development solutions to support and implement the learning application. To find out more, please contact our team of experts.
What is included?
The executive coaching service includes the following benefits:
- A free 30-minute session with one of our professional develoment experts to assess coaching needs
- Coachee support pack
The executive coaching process
"The IoD Executive Coaching service provided a safe environment to explore new ideas and approaches and get valuable independent critique on them."
Jeff Ruddle, operation director, UKAS
The process starts with an initial discussion with experts from the IoD team who will seek to understand your objectives, the level of your existing skills, knowledge, behaviours and your motivation.
1. Assess - A 30 minute complimentary session with one of our professional develoment experts to identify your specific coaching needs
2. Identify - We will choose an appropriate executive coach to work with you based on experience, sector and compatibility
3. Set goal - You will set SMART objectives with your coach (including confirmation of the number of sessions required)
4. Prepare - Use action plans, diagnostic tools and assessment results to aid your coaching experience
5.Implement - Your coaching sessions will take place in a safe, comfortable environment over a period of dates/times that are convenient for you
6. Reflect/Debrief - Evaluate, determine success and determine next steps
7. Perform - Take your career to the next level
How the IoD choose the right coach for you
"Having received a big promotion and being the first time in this role I was looking for a coach who had the technical knowledge as well as the coaching skills to support me."
The IoD executive coaching team have a broad spectrum of industry experience, coaching expertise and skills.
It is important to seek a coach with core credentials, these include:
- Being a member of an established professional coaching body
- They have undertaken at least Diploma-level training accredited by one of the professional coaching bodies
- Sector/organisation experience and expertise
- The coach can provide references and testimonials if requested
Once we have identified one or more coaches that meet the above criteria, it is important to establish that you have the right ‘chemistry’ between you.
Research suggests that the single most important factor is the quality of the relationship. Therefore, first and foremost you need to ask yourself, “Can I work with this person?”
We will encourage you to have an initial conversation with each of them and decide whether you feel comfortable enough to be really open and honest; while also feeling that the coach will give you the type and level of challenge that you’re looking for.
Once you can answer “yes” to both of these questions, you’re ready to go
Contact us to find out more information
Phone +44 (0) 20 7766 2601