On 16 July 1906, the IoD was constituted a Body Corporate and Politic by Royal Charter. The present Constitution was adopted in February 2004, having been overwhelmingly supported by members at a Special General Meeting.
- To promote for the public benefit high levels of skill, knowledge, professional competence and integrity on the part of directors, and equivalent office holders however described, of companies and other organisations
- To promote the study, research and development of the law and practice of corporate governance, and to publish, disseminate or otherwise make available the useful results of such study or research
- To represent the interests of members and of the business community to government and in all public fora.
- To encourage and foster a climate favourable to entrepreneurial activity and wealth creation; and
- To advance the interests of members of the Institute, and to provide facilities, services and benefits for them
The IoD takes its internal governance as an important item. We annually conduct an evaluation of the Board and will act on any areas identified for improvement.
"Our profile, influence and activities remain as strong as ever" IoD Director General
We are very fortunate to have a wide range of talented people who have helped the Institute achieve its objectives and our people in the regions and branches are ambassadors for the IoD, working tirelessly at local level, playing a key role.
The members of the Chartered Director Committee provide a substantial amount of time and professional input to this important part of our strategy. And the members of the various committees both at Pall Mall and again locally carry out important work for us.
We continue to work in the best interests of all members through provision of excellent core services and will continue to use our policy research and submissions of policy and consultation papers to deliver the key planks of our strategy.